Saturday, March 1, 2014

#99: CHERRY BLOSSOM PENTACLE

            --for my fellow pollinators

On my back beneath the flowering cherry tree on Spring Street in Marfa, Texas.  Bees, butterflies, and the magnificent sphinx moths were hard at work pollinating the five-petal blossoms above my head.  I took notes with eyes squinted, making the activities of the tree blurry but visible.  When a bee or sphinx moth pollinated a blossom near me I would wait until she left, then delicately pluck the flower, smell it, gaze into its newly unfolded star interior, then put it in my mouth.  I did this five times, one for each element of fire, earth, air, water, then one for the spirit within, slowly chewing the delicate sweetness while writing notes for the poem.  

5 MINUTE VIDEO I MADE OF THE TREE 
AND HER BEAUTIFUL POLLINATORS
Marfa Cherry Tree, March 2014 from CAConrad on Vimeo.